Criminal Appeals in the State of Alabama

Our attorneys handle criminal appeals across the state, in every county of Alabama. If you have been convicted of a crime in an Alabama court, be it felony, misdemeanor, or juvenile crime, you must act immediately to protect your rights. In most criminal cases, you have only 42 days to appeal your sentence. Our attorneys are ready and prepared to act quickly to preserve your ability to have your sentence reversed.

To begin with, your case usually goes to the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals, which will review the record and determine whether the trial court made mistakes, called "reversible error," when it handed down your sentence. If your sentence is not overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeals, you may take your case to the Supreme Court of Alabama, for a second review of the trial court's actions. Finally, if your case involves civil rights or constitutional violations, you may take an appeal to the United States Supreme Court.

Additionally, there are other avenues for post-conviction relief, including Rule 32 challenges and writs of habeas corpus. In short, there are many paths that your case may take on appeal, and you will need the guidance of an experienced appellate attorney to ensure that your rights are protected.

Our attorneys are uniquely qualified to address issues on appeal, as we are also zealous trial advocates. We represent clients charged with felonies, misdemeanors, and juvenile delinquency in bench and jury trials, including the most serious of crimes. We have defended clients charged with capital murder, rape, and property crimes, and obtained successful results.

We bring practical knowleddge and bold advocacy to the table in our work on criminal appeals. We know the law, and we know the areas that trial judges are most often tempted to cut corners.

Although we would like to have a perfect court system, this is not the case. Judges make mistakes, and these mistakes can cost individuals their freedom. If you have been convicted of a crime through a trial or plea bargain that was not procedurally fair, you must take action to protect your future.

Call us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss how we can help you safeguard your liberty by taking your case up on appeal.